1. Fragrances - I have mild asthma and usually it's kept in check fairly easily. But an attack can be brought on just by a smell or scent. Strong perfumes or colognes will start me coughing in a matter of moments and same goes for dryer sheets and detergents too. Not to mention that fragrances can contain 10's to 100's of chemicals, most of which are trade secrets and are known to be allergens and toxic.
2. Toxic Chemicals - In order for you to enjoy long lasting fresh smelling clothes, dryer sheets are coated with a slew of noxious chemicals. They coat your clothes when heated the dryer covering them in a toxic film. And how lovely is this...your sweet smelling clothes then transfer those nasty compounds to your skin throughout the day and then they are absorbed into your bloodstream. Ewwww! No thanks! And not only do they pollute your body, when you're dryer is running all those horrible substances are venting outside into the environment and adding to our pollution problem. Check out this list of some of those awful chemicals that your dryer sheets are dispensing:
Benzyl acetate:Linked to pancreatic cancer
Benzyl Alcohol:Upper respiratory tract irritant
Ethanol:On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA)
Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
A-Terpineol:Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal
edema, and central nervous system damage
Ethyl Acetate:A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list
Camphor:Causes central nervous system disorders
Chloroform:Neurotoxic, anaesthetic and carcinogenic
Linalool:A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
- Pentane:A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
|Wool Dryer balls by RubyJune|
- I love hanging my clothes on the line. A breezy day is great for softening your clothes and the smell is divine.
- Weather not cooperating? Why not use an indoor drying rack? Awesome in the winter to add a little extra humidity to your home.
- And what about vinegar? Add some to the rinse cycle to soften fabric and eliminate cling.
- Woolly Balls...do you have any? I do! And I make them too! Wool dryer balls are a natural, eco-friendly way to eliminate static, soften your clothes and improve your dryer's efficiency. Bonus!
So scrap the softener...ditch the dryer sheets. Your body and your wallet will thank you!