I have already raked my fair share of leaves so far but I'm going to leave the rest alone. Here's a few reasons why you should leave your leaves alone:
- Let the leaves fall where they may - leaving them on the ground provides great homes for useful insects, amphibians and critters and helps to insulate those tree roots.
- Cover your gardens - use the leaves as free insulation to cover your plants for the winter. In the Spring you can simply turn the leaves into your soil for natural fertilizer.
- Mow & Mulch - instead of raking and bagging - simply mow your leaves with a mulching mower. The broken down leaves will provide great nutrients to your lawn and help keep weeds down.
- Compost - keep your leaves to yourself and toss them in your compost bin. By the time Spring comes around you'll have some great mulch for your gardens
- Pile them high - nothing says Autumn like jumping into a giant pile of leaves! But you can also leave that pile over the winter and you'll have some awesome mulch. Leave that pile for a year and you'll end up with some amazing black leaf mulch for potting and gardens.
And the best part...they're FREE & GREEN!