7 Holiday Shopping Survival Tips
- Be prepared. Have a detailed list of items and the stores you'll need to visit. This will keep you trip short and sweet and on budget.
- Avoid shopping in the evenings and weekends. Most people work during the day so the stores are bound to be packed after dinner and on the weekends. Why not hit a few stores before work on a Tuesday or late night after the kids go to bed? A lot of shops have extended shopping hours in December so take full advantage and avoid the crowds.
- Pack some supplies. If you're doing a marathon shop, make sure to be prepared. Bring a bottle of water and some snacks. Nothing makes you Scroogier than waiting in line with your blood-sugar plummeting. Bring some nuts or dried fruit to keep you going. And an added bonus, you'll save time and money by skipping the food court.
- Dress comfortably. Shopping doesn't have to be a fashion show. Ditch the heels and put on your runners. Leave your coat in the car and just bring your purse. You'll keep your holiday spirit by staying cool and comfortable.
- Go hands free. Leave the fancy purse at home and opt for a cross-body bag. It will hold your provisions nicely, but also allow you to use both hand when grabbing gifts or pushing the cart.
- Schedule your shop. If you don't have time, then don't go shopping. You'll be rushed and irritated as you're stuck behind some slow-walkers in the mall. Make sure to allot a chunk of time where you don't have to rush to an appointment or grab the kids. You're shopping experience will be much more enjoyable when you aren't staring at your watch.
- Smile & enjoy! Don't look at it as a chore. If you view your shopping trip as a nice outing you'll actually have a good time. And nothing helps chase away those Bah Humbugs like a smile. So spread a little cheer and flash those pearly whites!