Did you know that there's actually some pretty good reasons to get outside and get dirty? Yup, all those days as a kid making mud pies weren't for nothing! Check out these amazing and healthy reasons why you should get your dirt on!
10 Reasons Why You Should Get Dirty
- Fresh Air - after months of being cooped up over the winter, nothing feels nicer that that clean, crisp air in your lungs. A few deep breaths and you can already start to feel energized.
- Sunshine - gotta love some natural Vitamin D! Just be careful as your skin is probably not used to those rays and can burn quickly.
- Physical Activity - playing in the dirt can be a great work out. Whether is digging holes for new plants, weeding or cutting the grass you can work up a good sweat with some yard work.
- Immune Building - yup, playing in the dirt is great for your immune system. See... kids knew it all along. Ditch the antibacterial soaps and sterile environment and make mud pies instead. Kids who play in the dirt are less likely to develop allergies and develop stronger immune systems from exposure to all those little microbes and bacteria compared to those kids who aren't allowed to play in the mud and dirt.
- Stress Relief - playing in the yard is a simple way to de-stress. Combine a little exercise, fresh air and stepping away from whatever is bugging you and you'll start to relax in no time.
- Self-Esteem Boost - talk about feeling good...how about that feeling of pride and accomplishment from nurturing a plant from a little seed to your very own fruit or vegetable?!
- Connect with the Earth - digging in the dirt is a wonderful way for adults and kids to connect with Mother Earth. It reminds us how interconnected we are and that in order for us to live and flourish we need to love and respect our planet.
- Grow Your Own Food - one of my favourite parts about gardening is that I can actually provide nourishing foods that I selected, planted and nurtured to my family. I know exactly what went into them and what we will then be eating. It's all about planting love!
- Get Happier - did you know that getting dirty makes you happy? For real! Mycobacterium vaccae is a beneficial bacterial naturally found in soil. And it's been found to trigger the release of Serotonin which boosts your mood!
- Why not?!